Monday, July 11, 2011

Eating Disorder Recovery IS Possible!


A number of girls and women contact me every month through either my website, after reading my book or newsletter, for advice and support. And what a lot of these messages have in common is the question about recovery - and if it is possible for them.

Some people - and this does not only include individuals with eating disorders, it sadly also includes some therapists, nutritionists and other health professionals - believe that full recovery does not exist; that one has to learn to live with their eating disorder for the rest of their life; that one just has to learn to control it but will never be totally free. It makes me sad when I hear statements like this, because I know very well that full recovery IS possible!

While I struggled with eating disorders, I also read and heard these statements. And it is so frustrating to hear something like this when you are in the middle of your own eating disorder battle. I felt so discouraged, hopeless and helpless. And I had times where I thought to myself, "Why even bother fighting when I am not going to succeed anyways?".... but I did not want to live like that for the rest of my life. I refused to believe that full recovery was not possible. I did not want to live with my eating disorder forever, I wanted to recover. I wanted to be free. I wanted to be happy and healthy again. And I made a choice. I chose to challenge this opinion that I had heard and read so many times. And once I opened up my mind to the thought that recovery was indeed possible, something changed... now that my mind was open to this possibility, I discovered that there was a whole community of women who managed to fully recover and share their stories on their websites and in their autobiographies. Reading stories from other women who managed to recover gave me hope, and inspired me. I read quite a lot of eating disorder autobiographies while I was struggling, and the main message that I got out of them was - if they can recover, I CAN TOO!!

These women were my heroes. I looked up to them and admired them for their achievement and also for their courage to openly and honestly talk about their eating disorder struggles and recovery. They were my role models, and one day, I wanted to be like them - I wanted to share my eating disorder success story and inspire and help others with eating disorders.

And today, I am recovered. I am happy with my life and love myself and my body. And now that I am recovered, I see it as my mission to share my experience with others who struggle with eating disorders to provide hope, help, comfort, and much needed support. I want you to know that you are not alone and that recovery is possible!

Yes, recovery - full recovery - IS possible. I'm not just saying this because it sounds good. I am saying this because I strongly and truly believe it. I am proof that it is possible! I am proof that full recovery is real, and not a myth. And I am not the only one who managed to successfully recover from an eating disorder. I am not the exception to the rule. There are countless women who managed to successfully overcome their eating disorders... some of them struggled for two, five or ten years, and some for twenty or more years... it really does not matter how long you had your eating disorder for, you are NOT a hopeless case. Recovery is possible for all of us!

Recovery is something that happens within you, and no one else can make you recover. No one can recover for you, and there is also no magic recovery pill. But I strongly believe that we ALL have it in us what it takes to recover.

Recovery is a process. It takes time. Recovery does not happen overnight. Your eating disorder started years before you first binged, purged, or starved yourself - and it will take time to overcome this disorder.

There is also no rule for how long it takes for someone to recover. We all have different stories to tell, different reasons why we developed our eating disorders, and we are at different points in our lives and have different support and recovery tools available. Please don't put too much pressure on yourself. Be more kind and patient with yourself. And please keep on believing in yourself. I know you can do it!

There will be setbacks... But no matter what happens, don't give up!

My journey to recovery was difficult. I am not going to lie to you and say it was easy, because it was not. It was a lot of work, but it was well worth it! I had to take one day after the other. And I had setbacks, I had a lot. And every time I fell, I did my best to quickly get up again and continue on my journey. I did my best not to look back but forward. And Brandon, my husband, was always there for me and with me, every step of the way. He believed in me, no matter what. His love and support were what I needed to find the strength in me to beat this disorder.

And during your recovery process, you will have setbacks. And that is normal. Setbacks are part of the process. So please don't beat yourself up over them. Move on and focus on your goal. Learn to be proud of yourself for what you have accomplished so far. Focus on the positive things and your achievements. And no matter what happens or what you do, please never give up on yourself. Please keep on fighting, and always remember -- recovery is possible, also for YOU!!!

All the best to you and lots of strength,

Andrea

Things You Can Do To Help You on Your Journey to Recovery

Create Your Personal Recovery Book: Write down inspirational statements, you goals for the future, what you will do when you are free from your eating disorder, things you are grateful for, your achievements - everything and everything that can support you while you work at getting rid of your eating disorder.

Coping Catalogue - Come up with a list of things to do when you feel trapped by your eating disorder and are ready to binge, purge, or skip a meal. As well, include a few inspiration statements on the same piece of paper or little book. Then carry this list wherever you go and refer to it often - to remind yourself that you are beautiful and to give yourself a distraction to overcome the temptation to give in.




Andrea Roe is an eating disorder survivor. She struggled with anorexia and bulimia for six long years. Now that she is recovered, it is her passion to share her story and to provide help, hope, comfort, and support to others still struggling. Andrea Roe is also the author of You Are Not Alone - The Book of Companionship for Women Struggling with Eating Disorders (http://www.youarenotalonebook.com), founder of the You Are Not Alone Eating Disorder Society, and creator of the informative eating disorder website called http://www.eating-disorder-information.com. Visit her websites and sign up for her monthly inspirational recovery newsletter called the You Are Not Alone Support Letter.



This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

No comments:

Post a Comment